Thursday 23 July 2020

Half Pin Cushion Doll Makeover

Hello

I started a collection of Pin Cushion Dolls many years ago,  picking them up at Antique Fairs and Shops, car boot and more recently the occasional ones on Ebay.  I once bought a job lot at an local Auction house.  My Sister was good at finding them as well.  For those who don't know, these little half dolls were produced from the  1920/30s and were attached to pin cushion skirts, crumb brushes and  tops of baskets.  (The ones on the bottom row are sat on boxes so that they can be seen when the door is closed.)




My neighbour likes the local Auction House and often buys job lots of china.  She came to me, smiling saying that one her lots had a large pin cushion doll complete with skirt. Would I be interested in it, yes please I haven't added to my collection for quite a while.


As usual I forgot to take a before photo, she had her skirt on but I had unpicked her before this photo.
The skirt was silk and very well made but so dirty.  Underneath the skirt was an even dirtier base.




 Not many of my collection came with skirts or if they did, not worth keeping, apart from this little one, she is attached to a power puff.



Seeing as the skirt was so well made a wash was in order, it was soaked in pure soap flakes for a few hours, goodness me the water was revolting.  I rinsed it in clean water for quite a while to make sure all the soap was remove, then it was hung on the line to dry.

The base wasn't something I fancied keeping so made another one with some calico fabric and used new toy stuffing as I wouldn't be using it as a pin cushion.  Instead of putting the doll flange inside the base, I put loops of ribbons through the holes so the doll could sit on the base and the ribbons were sewed down to secure.  This way the doll will not flop about which is a common problem.  Then before she was sewn down, I put the clean skirt back on.





The skirt is faded originally it was pale green but at least its clean.   Won't keep here in the conservatory as the sun will destroy the delicate fabric.

Sharon.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these dolls. I will be keeping a lookout for them now, if the charity shops ever let you properly browse again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are fun to collect, they are often marked Foreign and/or have numbers on the back of the flange. I don't buy the ones marked Japan. Some of them are "ugly" so they don't make it into my collection. There are more reproductions floating about now just to complicate things.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon
    Have my late mother’s 221K but pedal failed and I cannot use it. Do you happen to have a spade pedal and flex - must have 3 FLAT pins to connect to machine. Do you happen to have a spare cable I could buy (even if pedal itself needs to be replaced by has the FLAT pins). Sent in hope!! Thanks Dai

    ReplyDelete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box