Sunday 10 March 2019

Vulcan Junior Child's Sewing Machine & Sylko Pin Pot

Hello

We went to a great Vintage Fair held at Thirsk Auction Mart yesterday.  We took Burt our collie with us, he had a super day saying hello to as many people and dogs as he could.  His new nickname is "Burt the Flirt".

I spotted this little sewing machine, my sister Sandi wants to teach her grandchildren how to sew so this will ideal for a first machine.  It came with its original box.



Gave a quick clean and polish then tested it out this morning, it works OK without any tinkering.  To keep it stable its got its own clamp.


The instruction booklet is a bit tatty but its all there.


It tells the new owner to treat it properly!  Bet today's toys don't have instructions like that.



Its a 1950's machine and is a chainstitch machine.  It uses 206 x 13 Singer needles which are now getting a bit rarer but you can still find them thank goodness.  They are shorter than the more common 15x1 that all my Singer machines use.

My treat was finding at Sylko Pin Pot in the shape of a cotton reel.  Been after one of these for ages but they are expensive on Ebay.  This is the smaller size one.







Cheers
Sharon

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I'd have bought that! I too want one to teach my granddaughter how to sew. I did actually bid on a Singer (Handysew Model 20) this week on Ebay because when I was looking at another sewing machine in my local favourite charity shop (bought it, blog post on that one day!) a local man got chatting to me and told me he'd got this little Singer for sale on Ebay. I didn't win it, but it went for far more than I could afford. Love the little pin holder too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Singer 20 are very expensive now, Sandi and I had one when we were kids, it used to knot up a lot because we didn't know how to use it! There is an Essex which is a copy of the Singer, they are practically the same (Singers patent rang out so they were copied), a Grain is the same, these are a lot cheaper than the Singers, they use 15 x 1 needles. Don't buy the Singer 40 if you are going to use it, the needles are very hard to find.

      Delete
  2. That's a cute little sewing machine. I know you will have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, my sister will have fun with it with her grandchildren, she has 7 so it will wear out if they get the sewing bug!

      Delete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box