Saturday 14 March 2015

Wadding Too Thick Quilt

Hello

I like to give my quilts names, for example, Snuggle Quilt.  This quilt should have the name "Wadding Too Thick!"

I got carried away when buying some wadding for my hexagon quilt, so some unknown reason apart from being an idiot skinflint, bought thick polyester wadding instead of cotton wadding.  It was loads cheaper but wasn't wide enough so would need to be joined, problem No. 1, the fibres stick to the feed dogs.  So it was rolled up and its stayed there for a couple of years.  I lined the hexagon quilt with an old blanket which didn't work too well either so it still unfinished.  The hexagon quilt is jinxed.

Made this quilt top ages a go when I first got my Featherweight but again, another unfinished project.  I dug it out, and again to save money decided to use up the wadding, my Yorkshire genes coming out, we don't like wasting anything.



Was going to have a go at free motion quilting but it was too bulky for easy moving under the hopping foot.  So got the Featherweight's walking foot out and tried it on the 201, it fit yippeee.  So quilted with straight lines (well nearly straight, it was a tight fit).



Here is the walking foot, got it from America from the wonderful April at  April1930 Walking Foot.  I have only used it for putting the binding on quilts as I normally hand quilt.



Bulky wadding.




The pretty pink fabric is vintage Linda Beard polyester cotton which is really soft to touch.




Back to that name?  Its a really "cozy quilt" so perhaps that should be its name, will embroider a name tag for it.

Regards
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. I just want to cuddle up under it and then stroke it! I love the colour combination, the pink and brown look just perfect. Good job on the tweed note book cover too, you have been busy with your makes and all sew gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. The gardens are slow to wake up this year so had some extra time off before the grass starts to grow, put the time to good use. Should have been decorating the house! Ooops.

      Delete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box