Monday 26 February 2018

Sewing a Motorhome Awning on a Singer 201K

Hello

Mavis the Singer 201K had an outing as she is the machine housed in a nifty sewing table.  She had a challenge to do.


Please note this is not where I normally sew, we had put her in the garage so we had plenty of room.


She was sewing a Motohome Awning which was big and cumbersome.  The fabric (if you could call it fabric) is rubberised/vinyl stuff.  As the surface was on the slippy side, used a handy roller foot.  The only other time I have used this foot is when I made a cover for a wool carding machine with Oilcloth.


We were adding a beaded edge to the awning panels and making some alterations by adding fabric panels.  Used a size 16 needle and extra strong thread.



The machine coped with the tough fabric really well, not sure that I was so laid back.  The size of the panels caused problems, his nibs (aka Glock) had to lift the them and help guide them through the machine while I concentrated on keeping the seams straight.



I haven't used this machine for about year, she lives in the Summerhouse, when I first got her I put her in the conservatory where I sew but the heat of the summer sun melted the glue that holds the  oak veneer surface on the table and it lifted up so I had to move her.

I had forgotten how well she sewed, really good stitches.  Might have to rethink where I keep her so that I can use her more.  I am really lucky to have these wonderful vintage machines (Mavis was found on Freecyle)

My quilts will seem so easy after sewing this beast.

Cheers
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Wow - brilliant job! Impressive to tackle a job like that. I can't believe that you use this beautiful machine so rarely - shame on you! And fancy getting her from Freecycle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is rather lovely, I do feel guilty not using her.It was a lucky find on Freecyle, my friend spotted that a "singer" machine in table was on so she nabbed it for me and emailed me to go and collect, I was delighted when I got there to find it was the later 201K. I had to fix her as there was a bit missing off the tension dial. I have used her to fix horse rugs, normally outside on sunny days in the middle of lawn! My neighbours think I am mad.

    ReplyDelete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box