Tuesday 22 January 2019

Singer 221K Centennial Restoration Progress

Hello

I am making progress with the Featherweight.  Its been stripped down even more, cleaned.  Still waiting for parts to arrive in the post.  The list up to now is

Bobbin Winder
Drip tray
Stitch length lever
New washers for the fold up extension bed, the bed was very floppy.
New felt for drip tray

Underneath the machine there was an extra silver tube looking thingy.  After having problems with the Capacitors in the foot control causing problems, making my other Featherweight machines run all by themselves without me touching the foot control.  I knew exactly what this little monster was.  Having already decided that I wouldn't plug the machine in until I had the electrics checked, this could be taken off the machine at the same time.

+

Good job I was cautious, two of the three wires on this were snapped off, the third snapped off when it was touched.  They could have touched the side of the metal machine and made the whole machine live!  Free hair curling if switched on.


The motor connections were also ropey so they were replaced.

Put a new bulb in and plugged it in using my 201K leads and foot control.  The motor purred, goodness knows how long its been since it worked.  I had cleaned and oiled the machine prior to the plug in.

Here she is, naked!




On the To Do list

Sort the case out
Find another set of leads and foot controller so the 201K can have hers back.  This is not a priority, gardening is not very profitable in the winter, will get some when I am feeling flush.
Finish cleaning the tension control up, its been oiled at some point which had hardened so the disk were sticking.  The tension unit never needs oiling.
Finish cleaning and polishing the paintwork - have ordered some cleaner and polish from The Featherweight Shop in the USA.

Then put it all together again.


Cheers
Sharon


2 comments:

  1. Excellent job! What's the cleaner and polish you've ordered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its some fancy car polish for vintage cars, its expensive to buy the full size pots but they sell little pots of it which will do quite a few machines. Their machines come up really well so I thought seem to end up restoring these old machines, I could give it a go. Its called Zymol. I will do a blog on it when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box