Monday 20 July 2015

Wonderful Workshop - Textile Illustration

Hello

Had a wonderful day out at Sarah's (from Drawn Threads) Textile Illustration Workshop.  Took my Singer Featherweight as hand baggage, Sarah does have machines to use but they are modern ones and scare the living daylights out of me!

Never been on a workshop before, Sarah really pushed the boat out.  Our day started out with a pressy all wrapped with brown paper and string (think she is a fan of the Sound of Music!), they held everything we needed to make our pictures.  She had even made lovely badges with our names on so introductions weren't needed.  Baskets of old lace, fabric, bobbins of thread, buttons and beads.  Lots of Sarah's wonderful pictures to inspire us.

Here's my badge, will treasure it.



For my first effort, did a little wall plaque.  Decided rather than putting it in a wooden picture frame, I would frame it with fabric which put me back in my comfort zone as it was the same as binding a quilt.

Got it all done, then Doh, I was the class idiot, so busy concentrating on how to do, didn't notice that I had spelt Happiness with an Y.  Everyone was too polite to tell me so had to unpick it when I got home.  Here's the amended version.



For my second took my inspiration from picture on a card of the Yorkshire Dales which isn't too far away from home.  This really tested my brain cells

I was a definitely out of my comfort zone as here was no pattern or straight lines.  Sarah was on hand to calm my nerves and guide me.

The time flew and then it was home time.  The Yorkshire scene is still work in progress but here it is, the next bit to do is stone walls, think that I will practice on a scrap bit first to try out how to do them.  Then the scary trees to do!



A big thank you to Sarah, and her lovely hubby who carried my Featherweight up the stairs (felt like the Queen having someone to carry for me), he also was the 'Tea Boy' had a badge to prove it!

A really fun day.  You can find more information on Drawn Threads here Drawn Threads

Can't wait for the next one.

Cheers
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sharon, you'll be leading the class next - Your work is fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished landscape xx

    ReplyDelete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box