Monday 10 July 2017

Singer Sewing Machine 221K - Folding Iron

Hello

In America, Singer produced a folding iron to go into the case along with the machine.  I have never seen one of these irons for sale in the UK, I am a frequent user of Ebay and have seen the USA ones fairly regularly.

My sister went into a local Vintage Shop in Yorkshire and found two vintage folding travel irons.  They are not a Singer brand but very similar.  She kindly gave one to me, as you can see, its hardly been used at all.

It comes in a neat well made case.  Haven't tried to see if it will fit in the 221K case, I suspect it might be a bit of a squeeze.


It very comfortable to use and its got some weight about it so lovely to iron with.


Full instructions included.  Not sure that I will be plugging it into a UK light fitting, will use an adaptor.


 All tucked up.


This is what I normally use next to my Sewing Machine.


Was using the 201K today as I needed to sew some leather.  The iron goes really well with it, much  better than plastic!


WORD OF WARNING - My sister plugged her similar iron in, left it sitting up on her ironing pad on top of her new cutting mat. She then went downstairs to get a jumper, when she got back the iron was so hot, it had melted through to the cutting mat.  Yikes.  I actually haven't tried mine out yet as I didn't have a suitable plug adaptor. 

Cheers
Sharon





4 comments:

  1. That's a very cute little iron. I have a small one from the 1960's that belonged to my aunt. It still works fine and is not very heavy. I would so love to have a Singer iron. I've never even seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, just google Singer 221 folding iron to see what they look like. There are a good selection of this type of non singer irons on UK ebay, they are not expensive. Thanks for visiting the Buttonbox. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely little iron! I could do with a second iron for my sewing (and a nice little ironing space...... - I've got the space, just need to set up the right table and make an ironing pad)and shall do some googling when I've got time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love it, can't decide whether to leave it in the box all neat and tidy or have it out on display!

      Delete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box