Thursday 19 April 2018

Machine Quilting on Singer 201K

Hello

The lovely Anita asked me to finish off a quilt top she had.  It's an Amish inspired quilt that she had made along with her friends from across the globe.  Ladies from Germany, New Zealand, Australia and USA had made some of the blocks.

Seeing it was a large quilt, Mavis the Singer 201K was deployed again as she is the one in the built in table.  The quilt was far too large for the Featherweights.

I refurbished this table, it was in quite a state when I got it.  So stripped it down and used Danish oil to revive it.





I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't got a good shiny sheen on it. Then realised that it was the last thing that I needed was a slippy surface for the quilts to slide off.


It was tricky to do as it had to sit on the machine table at odd angles, the fabric and machine both wanted to run straight so lots of fabric wrestling.

The names of Anita's friends were written on some of the blocks so prior to quilting, I embroidered them on with vintage thread.  I marked the quilting lines with tailors chalk.


 I used a micro tack gun to secure the layers together, which are great until you have to snip them off the finished quilt, they ping all over.



Ta daa


 Mavis, the Singer had a good service on completion of the quilt, I have decided that I will keep her in the house instead of the summerhouse as a reward.  Lizzie made me feel guilty for not using her.

Cheers
Sharon




2 comments:

  1. "Lizzie made me feel guilty for not using her." You are forgiven!
    And wow, that really is a lovely quilt - must have been a lot of work! Mavis deserves a lot of credit. Lovely job on the table too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lizzie. It really is such a lovely machine, very quiet and smooth. x

    ReplyDelete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box