Monday 21 April 2014

Restored Singer 201

Hello

Things have moved on with the Singer 201K.

I gave her a 'wash and brush up', alright an 'oil and clean'.  The best thing to get grime and muck off the lovely black paintwork is Singer Machine Oil, just wipe it on with a soft cloth taking care not to rub when wiping over the decals.  Then polish it with a clean dry lint free cloth.

 The knee bar arrived from ebay and I was dying to try it out but I hadn't sorted out the problem with the dodgy old wire coming out of the motor.  My partner took the motor off and took it apart to find that the old wiring had started to break up, it is covered in cotton which rots with age.  So I ordered a replacement along with a light fitting which was also missing. Got them from the lovely Judy at http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/  Her website is a gold mine of Singer information.  She also sells some spares and donates the proceeds to a charity (www.tfsr.org) which refurbishes sewing machines and other tools to send as aid to training schools in Africa so that youngsters there can be taught practical skills to earn a living

I have been busy over the weekend, I bought a lovely old desk from Ebay to as a computer/office so spent the first part of the weekend, doing that up.  The bonus of this rash purchase was the original sweet table we were using for the computer was now going spare so made room in the conservatory to use it for the 201.  The machine is soooooo heavy, they're originally known as the 'back breakers' so don't want to have to lug it in and out of its case.

Here she is, fully restored, doesn't she look splendid.



Here is the mechanism for the leg control, I haven't used one of these before and wondered how sensitive it would be and more importantly, could I use one? Apart from forgetting and looking for the foot control! Its great, very controllable much easier to use than I thought.




The damage to the hinge isn't noticeable at all, thanks to Julie and Randal at http://www.theturnersinthechurch.com/ 

'New motor and Singer Light' they work a treat.


I am going to enjoy sewing in the conservatory on my new machine, it nice to think that something that wouldn't work is now fully refurbished and if I look after it properly and more importantly, use it, will go on for years and years.

First project for it will be a cozy cover to protect it from the sun, don't want the paint to fade.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box