Sunday 7 June 2020

Lockdown Bartering - Duvet, Masks, Yeast & a set of Drawers

Hello

My sister and I have been making masks out of an Egyptian cotton duvet which is much closer weave than even the good quality quilting fabric we have.  Its a boring white but the tighter the weave the more effective it is.   The one on the top is Liberty Lawn.




My friend Julie is in the vunerable group so is shielding at home getting her groceries delivered but they didn't have dried yeast.  She always bakes her own bread, has done for years.

Sandi had given her neighbour 2 masks, who asked her if she needed anything, knowing that I was looking for yeast for Julie, she asked if she had any.  Luckily she did and had some spare, she had asked a local bakery if they had any yeast as she couldn't buy any a the shops, they kindly gave 3 small pots of it.  She was happy to donate a pot for Julie.

I took the yeast over to Julie who then gave me cucumber and tomato plants along with an old small set of drawers for me to paint.  I need a new set in the summerhouse as the ones in there are falling to bits.

As usual, forgot to take a before photo.  Here they are, painted with the only suitable paint I had in the shed.   I have ordered some new knobs for it but they haven't arrived yet.



A donated duvet has become a useful set of drawers, Sandi's neighbour will be safer with her masks, Julie is able to bake bread, so we are all happy as no one spent a penny! 

Cheers
Sharon



2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what a bit of social networking can get you! Even at a distance... I actually have a big surfeit of yeast; one day I went to my local village shop to see if they had some, as my daughter couldn't get any for herself, and they had 500 g packets! It was from Italy. I shared it with my daughter but it's still going to last a long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny, we are getting kicks of out managing to source yeast. When flour was short, we were getting extras for neighbours and letting others know which shops had it! Goodness knows what it must have been like during the War with rationing.

      Delete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box